You want WordPress, but you don’t know where to start.
You’ve seen the screenshots. You’ve read the rave reviews. You’ve heard that WordPress is a flexible, powerful way to manage websites, and you want it now.
If you could just get it set up, you’re ready to start writing great blog posts, or selling great products, or otherwise getting your message out there.
The problem is, how do you get the thing set up in the first place? Downloads? FTP? Help! You just want someone to handle the technical details of installation and point you to the place where you can start writing already.
And you don’t want your freshly installed WordPress site to look exactly like all the other freshly installed WordPress sites out there. You want your online home to look and feel uniquely you…
…but you don’t have the budget to hire a designer to custom-build a site from the ground up, which could cost $3000 or more.
You’re wondering if it’s possible to get started without a) resorting to a cookie-cutter look and b) getting an advanced computer science degree.
Good news! We know exactly how to make this possible for you.
Here’s the bottom line: We will get you up and running with a WordPress site that reflects your uniqueness.
Choose the package that gives you the right balance of control and design help, then get ready to blog:
Basic Package: Gets you ready to blog, no muss, no fuss.
- Save time (everything installed for you, we just hand you the keys)
- Spare your brain the exhaustion of figuring out how to install, configure, and code
- Focus on doing your thing, not wrangling with technical details
Bonus Package: Gets you ready to blog with a bit of personal shine.
- Show off your business’s unique look — I’ll install your existing header and color scheme so your right people will feel comfortable basking in your awesomeness
- Keep them coming back with extra functionality to help people contact you and help you stay in touch with them
- Make money by adding PayPal e-commerce options, so when people are ready to buy, it’s easy for them to do so
Bonanza Package: Get you ready to blog with a whole helping of your personality on top.
- Delight in your site’s super custom look: Amy’s custom graphic elements (PayPal buttons, bullets, page dividers) help you visually connect with your audience in a unique way
- Shine on! Essential SEO metadata helps people find your special snowflake in the middle of the internet blizzard
- Get started right away — I’ll upload some of your content so you have a real site for people to check out
Between Wendy’s tech skills and Amy’s artistic vision, we’ve got you covered.
Amy Crook has been designing stuff people actually like since 1996, and making art her whole life. She uses a mix of digital and traditional media to create unique and beautiful pieces that reflect her clients’ personalities. Her oldest clients have been with her for 15 years, and she’s used everything from Photoshop to crayons on their illustrations. And she also draws cartoons! She lives in the San Francsico Bay Area with her two cats, 1400+ books, and nigh-imaginary roommate. She plays board games every Wednesday night and is an unrepentant geek, and no, she won’t tell you why she’s got bunny ears.
Wendy Cholbi’s experience as a web architect goes back to 1993, when she created The Charlottesville Pizza Page, an ambitious attempt to provide a comprehensive local dining guide dedicated to one of the world’s greatest foods. She’s since moved to California, produced two
tiny minions children, and converted to the Cult of WordPress. She delights in exploring and explaining technological tangles that strike fear into the hearts of mere mortals. And she’s confident that yes, with a little boost at the beginning, and a dose of nonjudgmental and friendly help along the way, you can do it yourself. Yes, you.
Here’s the lowdown:
Choose one of these three installation packages to get your site started:
|Latest version of WordPress installed for you|
|Customizable WordPress theme (Prose child theme for the Genesis Framework) installed for you|
|Package of 7 recommended WordPress plugins installed and activated|
|Choose your site layout (one-, two-, or three-column)|
|Your site pre-configured as a blog, a static site, or a site that contains a blog|
|RSS Feed & Email Subscription widget configured in your sidebar|
|Up to three PayPal buttons installed by Wendy (so you can sell stuff!)|
|Custom PayPal buttons with your choice of text/color, designed by Amy, installed by Wendy|
|Your existing Logo or Header, and matching Color Scheme of your choice, installed by Wendy|
|Custom Logo or Header and matching Color Scheme Designed by Amy, installed by Wendy|
|Contact page with a working contact form|
|Google Analytics tracking code installed so you can track visitor statistics|
|Set up Post Metadata for Basic SEO|
|Up to three WordPress Pages created for you, using content you provide|
|Custom favicon designed by Amy, installed by Wendy|
|Custom bullets or divider designed by Amy, and added to your Media Library by Wendy|
Ready to get started?
Optional: Add a Personal Office Hour to any package.
Need tech support, training, or the chance to bring your WordPress questions to an expert? Add a Personal Office Hour to your package.
What do I need to get started?
You’ll need a domain name and a web hosting account. We recommend DreamHost for inexpensive web hosting (plus each DreamHost account includes one domain name registration).
What will it look like?
How long will it take?
We’re currently taking orders for Winter 2012 installations. WordPress installations can usually be done within two weeks. For the Bonanza package, your design may take a little longer — since everything is custom, the back-and-forth process of getting from your idea to a final product varies from person to person. We’ll keep going until you love it, though, and in the meantime you’ll have the ready framework you can fill in with your blog posts.
Can I upgrade?
Yes, just let us know and we’ll invoice you for the difference. You’ll pay the same total amount as someone purchasing the larger package.
Can I downgrade?
No, once work has begun we’re unable to downgrade or offer refunds.
What if I want a site with more pages than my package includes?
WordPress allows you to create as many pages as you need, and you’ll find it easy to add your own pages (the built-in menu feature even lets you easily create drop-down menus with absolutely no coding required). If you would prefer to have Wendy add and format your pages for you, we can add that to your package for an extra fee.
What if I want a logo and a fancy-pants header?
You can buy a logo from Amy separately here, to be added to your site.
What if I don’t like my custom art?
If you purchase the Bonanza package, Amy will work with you until you’re happy with your design, up to three major revisions and as many little tweaks as it takes.
What are the plugins you install?
- WordPress SEO by Yoast (helps you get found on Google)
- Broken Link Checker (saves you from embarrassing broken links)
- Fast Secure Contact Form (use to create any type of contact form, survey, etc.)
- FD Feedburner (seamlessly integrates your RSS feed into Feedburner)
- Simple Tags (advanced management for post tags)
- Share and Follow (adds buttons to each post so readers can tweet, email, and share your posts)
- A complete backup plugin — either BackupBuddy or EZPZ-OCB, depending on your site’s needs
Plus, if you’re hosted on DreamHost, you’ll also get their plugin package, which includes 12 more plugins (and this list gets updated from time to time):
- After the Deadline
- Extended Comment Options
- Hello Dolly
- Jetpack by WordPress.com
- WordPress HashCash
What if I need help using WordPress?
Don’t worry, Wendy’s got you covered. Here are four ways you can get help:
- Search this very site for blog posts — I’ve written quite a few WordPress How-To guides.
- Call me during my Open Office Hour every Thursday. Ask me anything!
- Sign up for WordPress Swimming Lessons.
- Buy a unit of Basic Tech Help and get personalized help.
I’m ready! How do I sign up?
Fantastic! Choose your package and click the “Add to Cart” button to begin your checkout. You’ll have the opportunity to pay with a credit card or by PayPal. After your transaction has been processed, which is pretty much instantly, you’ll receive an email from Wendy asking for your web hosting account login information, and some other information based on the package you chose. She’ll reply to confirm your install timeline.